Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 96 14:18:40 MST
From:      clintw@colorado.cirrus.com (Clint Wolff)
To:        smp@FreeBSD.org, Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com
Subject:   Re: P5 vs. P6 performance

> I'm looking at buying either a dual CPU Pentium motherboard and
> initially populating it with a single Pentium-200 MHz, and then adding the
> second Pentium-200 MHz a few months later, OR buying a single Pentium-Pro 200
> MHz motherboard.  What can I expect for relative performance for each
> system, assuming that each one has, for example 64 MB memory?  If this
> is an overpowered home system with only occasional periods of
> sustained computation, would I need more that 64 MB?
>
> For example, on a lightly loaded system, how much faster is the
> Pentium Pro?  Which system (dual P5 vs. 1 P6) would be faster at
> compiling all of FreeBSD from scratch?
>
> Thanks.

Everyone I have talked to about buying a single pentium 200 and adding a
second one later has cautioned against it... Apparently, Intel recommends
only using dual processors with the same S-Spec number (I assume this is
the stepping)... Buying one now and one later doesn't give you any
way of insuring this...

clint