Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 01:53:24 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <jmcla@ocala.cs.miami.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Logging in PPP

> Allen, I have ppp from Sept 17, and I have successfully configured
> syslogd to log ppp transactions. I added:
>
> !ppp
> *.*                                             /var/log/ppp.log
>
> to my /etc/syslog.conf, and:
>
> set log Phase Chat Connect Carrier LCP IPCP CCP
>
> to my /etc/ppp.conf file.  Everything works nicely.  Make sure the file
> /var/log/ppp.log exists.  For some reason, if it didn't, syslogd would
> complain.

The reason being that syslogd doesn't know what permissions it should
create the file with.

Remember to also set newsyslog.conf up correctly (this will rotate
the log files, setting the correct permissions on the new one).

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;