Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 1995 01:44:59 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xterm dumps core

: Your issue must be based on some statistics, i.e. somehow
: approximately counts users who 1) upgrade to new system and
: 2) don't upgrade their X. Here my thought on this subject.
: Old 8859-1 locale names lives very short time (I naively follows X locale
: naming convention when implement them). So user population
: using old names is very small. And population who wan't
: upgrade their X even smaller, moreover, solution for
: them already exists: "upgrade your X".

Personally, I'm unlikely to upgrade my X unless I have to.  The X
server I have now works, and I'm not inclinded to change unless forced
to do so.  The OS under it doesn't matter, and if I install a new OS
that breaks something, that OS is broken.  Period.  I will not upgrade
my X because of that, I will yell to have my OS fixed to work with the
perfectly valid X that I had before.

"Upgrade your X" is not an option for me, nor for many others.

I have railed in the past on Linux groups because Linux tends to break
the edges of binary compatibility often.  I don't want to see FreeBSD
do that at all.

I don't care how the current squabble works itself out, so long as I
am nor forced to upgrade my X release when I upgrade my OS release.

Warner