Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 09:27:52 +1100
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Bob Fawcett <bobf@gulfaero.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Promiscuous mode

Thus spake Bob Fawcett (bobf@gulfaero.com):

> How do I set an interface to allow promiscuous mode?  I want to run
> snort on the box.

You need to have the bpf pseudo device in your kernel config, and
appropriate entries in /dev.

You'll also need appropriate permissions to read from the bpf device(s),
which by default means root privileges.

The bpf pseudo device has been in GENERIC for some time, so if you're
using a recent version of FreeBSD, you're all set.

Nick