Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 10:24:08 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Andy.Robb" <Robb.Andy@x-tension.com>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: training timeofday clock with ntpdate

In the last episode (Oct 01), Andy.Robb said:
> I understand that the kernel includes code to trim the clock
> frequency when using xntpd.  However, xntpd raises the ISDN line to
> our ISP every few minutes.

Are you using user-ppp or pppd for your ISDN link?  Both have a filter
feature where you can specify exactly which packets trigger a dialout.
In pppd, it's called "active-filter".  In ppp, it's called "dfilter"
and "afilter".

If you tell ppp to not dial out on UDP port 123 packets, you can leave
xntpd running all the time.  It will sync when the line is up, and will
do its best when the line is down.

Configure xntp to use hardware clock at a low stratum (say 10 or so):

  server server.onthe.inter.net
  server 127.127.1.0
  fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
  driftfile /etc/ntp.drift

So when you are offline, xntpd will use the hardware clock (adjusted
for drift).  When you are online, it will resync to a more accurate
time source.

The NTP faq at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ has a lot of articles on
this exact topic, but they all boil down to what I just said above :)

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com