Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 1997 23:18:35 -0800
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S." <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Statement about Classic Matlab

Hi,
I've thought it and I'm not distributing any more copies of Classic
Matlab. Although there is no legal reason not to distribute it (I never
asked for a fee, I added the author's statement, and I made it clear
that it was for non-commercial use). I don't want to become a
distributor of this stuff; if I wanted I'd just sent it to an FTP site,
they usually have more bandwith than I do.
I felt I didn't have the right to keep the software only for myself. My
interest was to avoid having a distribution of Linux's binary version
when we could have our native, and somewhat updated, version. Now I have
realized that much better software is available in the public domain
already, and our efforts can be better placed in porting Rlab or any of
the many lookalikes.
The "Classic" version of Matlab is cute, but it has little or no
resemblance with the commercial version: personally, I'm buying Linux's
version from MathWorks.

Pedro.