Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:08:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        madscientist@thegrid.net (The Mad Scientist)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tracing Spoofed Packets

> I doubt it, but is there ANY way to trace spoofed packets coming in from
> the Internet?  I've been getting these packets showing up at my boarder
> router pretty regularly for the past few days now:

First step is to complain to your peering ISP on this boarder router,
they should be dropping all RFC1918 src or dst addressed packets at
their boarder.  They probably have an internal leak, or one of their
customers does.

The only way of tracking these down is getting good cooperation from the
technical people you are connected to on this link and having them search
their boarders for the source, then instituting correct AS policy and
dropping these things like they already should be.

Many people have long used a poor filter list for this, simply filtering
for dst only, current best practice is to filter on either src or dst
being in RFC1918 space (and a few others too, like unless you support
mcast peering with your adjacent AS's you should drop src or dst 224/12
as well, and don't forget to filter 127/8, etc, etc... :-)

Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net