Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 02:25:26 +1100
From:      davidn@sdev.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Swap leak in -current?

grog@lemis.de writes:
> I've just failed a 'make world' for the second time after
> running out of swap space.  I don't understand why: it looks
> like the make process is using up swap at a ridiculous rate.
> Here's the scenario:  Pentium 133 with 64 MB of memory, a
> hungry X server using about a third of this, two swap spaces
> with a total of 150 MB.

Well, glad its just not me. I was about to report exactly the
same thing.

On a machine which about a couple of weeks ago did make world
flawlessly a few times, attempting to make world dies with out
of memory problems. Indeed, swap space does indeed shrink to
nothing (the machine in question has 64mb of RAM and 128mb of
swap! No X - just minor services, web server and cache showing
~8mb in use between them).

I decided earlier this evening to also kill my current source
tree and export the entire -current again, but cvs runs out of
swap as well, and co reports that it can't allocate memory.
Running top concurrently shows available swap space plummeting
from ~70M free to none as the checkout occurs, but only if
files are actually checked out (ie. no change in vm at all if
the files already exist), and ^C killing cvs brings it all
back. top shows that the cvs process itself doesn't seem to be
consuming the memory, so the 'leak' appears to be somewhere in
the vm system.

(btw, it took 4 passes to finally check out the entire tree again)

The problem appeared first just before Christmas.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/