Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:11:24 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Yana Lehey <yana@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Back to school

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 04:22:46PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> My daughter has just gone back to school after the summer break.  She
> brought back a sheet of paper today with various hints on how to use
> their Microsoft system.  One thing I found particularly interesting:
>
>   * Deleting a file is simple.  Right click on the Start button and
>     choose Explore.
>
>   * Scroll down to the Network Neighbourhood.  Navigate your way to
>     the folder as before.
>
>   * Move the mouse on to the file you want to change and right click.
>     You can now delete or rename the file.
>
> Is there something wrong with me to think that this is more
> complicated than `rm file'?

I don't know. You decide :-)

   * Deleting a file is simple.  Left click on the root window and
     choose xterm.

   * Give that xterm the focus (either by moving the mouse over it
     or left clicking on it) and type 'locate filename'.

   * If that doesn't work you might need to create your locate
     database. One way is to su to root and run /etc/weekly.
     Otherwise, study the man page for locate.

   * When you have discovered the full path of the file,
     type 'rm path/filename'.

   * If there are no problems with permissions, the command should
     succeed, in which case you will see no acknowledgement.
     If you need to change the permissions, type 'man chmod' and
     study for a while. If you need to change the owner, the command
     to study is chown but you'll need to su before you can use it.

   * When you have deleted the file, close iconise or leave the xterm,
     right click on the root window, and select the program you are
     working with.

   * If you are not using fvwm2 with Sue's fvwm2rc of December 1998,
     the above instructions will need to be modified. Consult your
     window manager's man page to learn how to read its config file, to
     find out how menus, etc, if they exist, can be activated.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-