Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:13:43 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: number of interfaces and performance ?

* Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> [010426 08:27] wrote:

> I have the need to put together a somewhat largish VLAN router (larger than
> I have done before) with about 35 interfaces.  Has anyone put anything like
> this together ?  The box would be routing about 25-30Mb at peak rate.  I
> recall reading something about LINUX being very inefficient when it comes
> to multiple interfaces.  Does FreeBSD suffer from the same fate ?  I also
> recall someone running into problems with 16 physical interfaces (4 x 4
> multiport nics).  Not sure how much of that was an hardware resource issue
> and how much a software resource issue . Will it work OK in theory, or
> should I spend the $8K on a 3640 ? The largest I have right now is one with
> 8 active VLANs and it works very well, but nothing over 10 and nothing
> pushing 30+.  I have built the box and it works well enough in the lab, but
> I dont know of course how it will work in production.

I remeber there being some sort of issue with large number of
interfaces, however I think it was trivial to fix and may have
already been.  Sorry if this isn't so helpful, but I can't remeber
anyone recently popping up and complaining about the perf with
lotsa NICs in machine.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/