Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:49:26 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: files/edd962f76ea4b5869f3c6f8ee5438fb9750b802d02bb8035fe1b7bd0a8ba7401.gz not found -- snapshot corrupt.

Hi.

Dropping freebsd-current ML as this doesn't related current (main) but
deprecated release (12.4).
Dropping freebsd-arm ML as I'm not subscribed and surely be bounced,
and the problem is ports specific.
Adding freebsd-ports ML as this is ports related.

Commented inline below.

On Wed, 14 Feb 2024 19:15:43 -0800
Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2024, at 18:23, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> > You may need to grab the repo. You may have to back up to December's ports tree...
>
> My understanding was that portsnap was staying installed
> on 13.*-RELEASE until the last version is EOL and that
> portsnap servers would be kept operational with valid
> content until then.
>
> I would have guessed that this would mean that 12.4-RELEASE
> or the like would also be able to use the portsnap it
> contains over that same time frame.
>
> Am I wrong?
>
> As stands, git use on 12.4-RELEASE would require bootstrapping
> git somehow, possibly via portsnap, building git, and then
> installing git (and the other stuff required).
>
> (Not that I use portsnap.)

Me too don't use portsnap, but if you want to switch to git, maybe
installing git from pkg (as 12.x is already EoL'ed, extract git.pkg
from disc1.iso for armv7, install it) and clone repo into
clean /usr/ports would be better not to poisoning by different metadata.
And check out the ports tree of which just befere 12.4 was obsoleted.
After that, ports tree starts dropping support for 12.x.

Additional note:
I myseld don't even tried, but for portsnap users who needs (forced)
to switch to git, net/gitup could be your friend.
IIUC, it would be something like csup for cvs or svnup for subversion.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>