Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:41:33 +1000
From:      Chris Pauly <l@binkyware.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   'vr' driver is broken

Hello,

It has been a long time since i discovered this driver being broken, and
again after upgrading from 3.5-STABLE to 4.1-RC (after falling back to 3.x
after an upgrade to 4.x and finding out the driver was broken), it is
_still_ broken. I have tried contacting the author (Bill Paul), but no reply.

I have a D-Link DFE-530TX NIC on a AOpen AX59 Pro motherboard. Works like a
charm under FreeBSD 3.x - solid 11.5MB/s computer <-> computer or computer
-> switch -> ??. But ever since FreeBSD 4.x it has been broken. Attempting
to do anything but low-bandwidth telnet results in the network locking up
and dying - sometimes resetting much later. No errors in syslog (some
people have reported a "Watchdog Timeout" error, and i have seen this
myself but not for a while). The only way to fix this is to force the card
into 10Mbps half-duplex where i get 1MB/s fine and there are no lockups
(although a lot of collisions). Nothing wrong with the cables, i have tried
them all with both of the NICs in the FreeBSD machine to either a computer
or a switch (vr and rl). Solid 11.5MB/s (except of course from vr on 4.x)

Could somebody please fix the driver? Or give me a way of contacting the
author? Or contact the author? Or rewrite it? Anything? It has been broken
for such a long time.. Or perhaps if anybody has had success with the 'vr'
driver on OpenBSD? The source looks a fair bit different compared to the
FreeBSD version, so perhaps it will work?

Regards,

Chris