Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2009 01:40:02 GMT
From:      Michael <freebsdusb@bindone.de>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/135222: [igb] low speed routing between two igb interfaces

The following reply was made to PR kern/135222; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Michael <freebsdusb@bindone.de>
To: Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 03:32:15 +0200

 Barney Cordoba wrote:

> [...]

 How should anybody know that the controller is poorly supported if there
 is nothing in the documentation, release notes, man pages or anywhere
 else about this?

 The fact of the matter is that "the offload crap" _is_ enabled by
 default. The release is out, it claims to support the controller. There
 _is_ a workaround and I'm asked if somebody could document this so users
 will have a chance. I'm also not convinced that it is a crappy
 controller per se, but just poorly supported. We used those a lot before
 without any issues, unfortunately now we had touse IP forwarding in a
 machine that has that controller (it has 6 interfaces in total, four em
 ports and two igb ports, all of them are in use and I don't feel like
 hooking up the sodering iron).

 So bottomline:
 I said, there is a problem with the driver, there is a workaround and it
 should be documented.

 You say, the driver is bad and nobody should use it and if they do it's
 their own damn fault. We won't do anything about it and refuse to tell
 anybody, because we are the only ones who should know. We don't care if
 people can actually use our software and still claim the hardware is
 actually supported.

 Your attitude is really contra productive (actually googling around I
 see  you made similar statements in the past about stupid people not
 willing to spend xxx$ on whatever piece of hardware, so maybe you're
 just trolling).

 Michael