Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:01:56 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPS signal from NT?

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 at 16:44 SAT, Scott I. Remick wrote:

> We have a large UPS hooked up to our NT server.  The UPS only has one
> serial port and it is currently set up to signal a shutdown on the NT
> server.  Without buying a separate UPS for our FreeBSD server, is there
> some way to get a signal from the NT server that would trigger a shutdown
> on the FreeBSD box also?

Related question:

What would be the most elegant way for one FreeBSD box (running upsd) to
signal another that it should shut down?

Oh sure, I can also think of a number of solutions, but I'm still looking for
one that's reasonably foolproof/secure, and that doesn't *feel* like a hack.

(Scott, my answer to your question would depend on whether your UPS software
on NT will allow you to execute something arbitrary upon detection of an
outage.)

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878