Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 13:18:04 +0200
From:      Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Purpose of world being able to see the mail queue?

Hi..

Recently I noticed that /var/log/maillog was stored world readable
and contains each messages sender and recipient information (at least
Postfix by default stores this, can't remember if Sendmail
does?).

This isn't a big issue, but still I was surprised considering the
unnecessary exposure of details in the systems users mail communication.
I was about to ask why maillog wasn't stored as read/write for root only,
when I discovered that also the mail queue (using mailq) also was world
readable. This also seemed to be the case with the Linux and Solaris
systems I tested.

I don't expect any mail transport node on the path to the destination to
expose the envelope information "unnecessarily" (although of course I can
absolutely not *assume* that), and therefore neither expect my own MTA
to do that.. (yes, I might have naive expectations, in that case I need
to fix them :))

What is the rationale behind having the MTA by default exposing
information on who the users on the system receive and send
mail to through the mail log and the message queue?
(The mail queue information seemed to be world viewable (with mailq) on
all Unix systems I tested.)

I understand that the envelope information of a mail message can not
be considered private, but this seems like unnecessary exposure..?

I'm interested in enlightenment/opinions on this subject :)..

In a way I'm hesitating to send this out now, because I realize the
similarity of this issue with standard unix concepts. For example
"viewing who else is logged in", "viewing other users processes" etc
which are totally given in a Unix environment. But now when I think
about it, are even these really justified?

Regards, Markus.

--

Markus Holmberg         |       Give me Unix or give me a typewriter.
markush@acc.umu.se      |       http://www.freebsd.org/