Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 18:16:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

> > I'm having problems with PPP as is someone else I know, on a 2.1 system.
> >
> > Basically, if the line drops then it drops the default route from the
> > routing table and when you next try and use the net instead of it
> > re-dialing you get no route to host errors.
>
> Umm, if the line drops to your net connection, you have no route to
> host.  This sounds like the correct response.

Hmm, possibly. Maybe dropping the route isn't the reason it's failing to
redial although I don't see how ppp would even get a chance to see the
packet if the kernel doesn't know to send the packet out through tun0.

Whatever the cause, dial-on-demand is broken and there's at least two
of us seeing the problem.

Is anyone else having any problems, the common factor between me and this
other person is we both use Demon as our ISP.

> Hmm, I didn't have any problems with it working when I tested it,
> although I wasn't happy with it locking up at times and dropping the
> connection.  Since I needed something that worked 'all' the time, I am
> now using kernel ppp, and I've not had any problems.  Someone (Mike

Well, I switched from kernel ppp to user-land ppp for similar reasons :-)
That was back in 2.0 days though so I guess kernel ppp is a lot better now.
Does it do dial-on-demand?

> > Killing ppp also has the side-effect of killing the X server. This makes
> > it a real pain to use.
>
> That's strange.  I've not seen either of these problems.  If you want I
> can try and help you debug it if you send me (privately) your ppp
> configuration files.

Can't do anything until the w/e since I work away from home and it's my
home box. I'll send them to you when I get a chance.

> Also, are you using internal/external modems?

External.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)