Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 00:03:13 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jc@irbs.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Slice errors

>> This advice no longer applies.  The bogus partition table is specially
>> handled to make it work.  Changing it risks introducing bugs and
>> changes will be blown away by new boot blocks.

>Maybe that is why I only write new boot blocks when it absolutely
>necessary.  The label was found and I was able to use the drive.
>I just wanted to get rid of the "raw partition size != slice size"
>message.  I had to either increase the size of the c partition,
>which disklabel would not do for some reaseon, or reduce the slice
>size.

The current version of disklabel can handle it (you must initialize
su# in disktab and/or secperunit in `disklabel -e').  You can safely
increase the size of the c partition to the size of the disk without
changing the size of the partitions with file systems (keep them
ending on cylinder boundaries).

>Is there a reason that writing boot blocks can't re-write whatever
>partition table exixts?

disklabel(8) doesn't know that the partition table exists.  It did in
1.1.5.  That was wrong.

Bruce