Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 10:20:11 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Subject:   Re: Move mt(1) to /bin?

<<On Tue, 18 Jul 1995 08:14:14 +0200 (MET DST), J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> said:

>> Before you make decisions you should create formal criteria for the
>> reasons things belong where they belong.

> Binaries that are essential for system recovery, even in case there's
> no /usr file system available (since it's disk is dead, or it's NFS
> and not reachable to recover the system).  This includes everything
> that handles potential backup media and establishing a basic network
> connection.  (The argument is for both, /bin and /sbin here.  The
> latter decision should be based on hier(7).)

This seems like a good starting point.  I would also add the criterion
of ``extremely frequently-used system utilities''.  The rationale for
including these (and it would be necessary to do some thought to
figure out the precise set) is to minimize load time as much as
possible.  Having them be in the root partition and be
statically-linked serves this goal.

It turns out that almost all of these programs are also needed for
system recovery; I think that the current set of /bin programs should
all stay, and maybe some should be added.  I don't see anything in
/sbin that I would throw out immediately, either.  (I note that I
still have the `st' program from 1.1.5 in my /sbin...)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.