Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:03:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to set fxp0 to half-duplex? [was: nfs tuning]

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 03:58 PM 9/22/99 -0400, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:
> >>ifconfig fxp0 media 10BaseT/UTP
> >>ifconfig fxp0 media 10BaseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex
> >>
> >>No reboot is needed.
> >
> >ackk!  It's not auto-sensing!  I've been ass_u_ming it was.
> >Why, pray tell, isn't this documented?
>
> I never trust auto-sensing. Tell both ends what they are configured for.

Good advice, but when problems occur, try turning off auto-sensing.  We've
got a 10/100Mbit switch in the office that if you hook up a computer
that doesn't auto-sense but forces 100Mbit, either full or half duplex,
the throughput drops into the 10-50KB/sec range.

Of course, in this case, the advice can't be exactly followed, because the
switch can only auto-sense, it can't be configured.