Date:      Fri, 8 May 2009 15:55:58 +0200
From:      "Johan Hendriks" <Johan@double-l.nl>
To:        "Johan Hendriks" <Johan@double-l.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Changing NIC

>- FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE
>
>I am about the change the (working) nic of my FreeBSD server with a=20
>gigabit one.
>Logically I think it would be good to add the new nic first and test it =

>and if it is working, just remove the old one (or leave it without =
cable).
>Is that the common way of doing such? Are there disadvantages with =
that?

>Jos Chrispijn

The only thing need to change is the line =
ifconfig_(interface_name)=3D"xxx.xxx ...... in the file /etc/rc.conf If =
the server can be offline for some time, install the new NIC and remove =
the old one.
Then look in dmesg what name the new nic has, like bge0 or em0 or =
something like that.
Edit your /etc/rc.conf file so the line ifconfig_ has your new nic =
module name, like ifconfig_em0=3D and restart the network with =
/etc/netstart If all is working a final reboot and all should be OK

Regards,
Johan
 =20