Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:21:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        blk@skynet.be
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Integrating QMAIL in the world

> At 2:44 PM -0400 2000/4/9, Patrick Bihan-Faou wrote:
>
> >  The advantage would be that we can have a fairly decent qmail
> configuration
> >  using the standard make world feature.
> >
> >  Is there any interest in that kind of work ?
>
>         Considering the number of qmail-specific pieces that need to be
> installed to support it (and the resulting domino effect), the highly
> negative impacts that qmail is notorious for, and that it is not
> intended to be a drop-in replacement for sendmail, I would be highly
> opposed to this change.
>

>         If we are actively interested in finding a replacement for the
> open-source sendmail MTA, I would prefer one that was designed from
> the beginning with security in mind (including going so far as being
> intended to run in a chroot() environment), is intended to avoid
> undesirable behaviour as much as possible, and is intended to be a
> drop-in replacement for sendmail to the greatest degree possible.
>
>         In other words, if we're going to be replacing sendmail with an
> alternative MTA, I'd prefer postfix over qmail, and I believe I can
> marshall some pretty strong arguments for that position.

Perhaps it's time to revisit something I proposed several years ago.

Remove Sendmail from the base system - or, at least, make it a "package"
that is removable with the package management tool.  Then be able to add
another mailer (or an updated Sendmail) in its place.  Ideally, Sendmail
would be available as a package for installation as part of the base
system, just like games or info or proflibs.

I would love to see this happen with other components of the system as
well, such as BIND.

While it is fantastic that FreeBSD comes out of the box so fully
functional, it does make it a bit of a pain for those of us who intend
to build servers - we have to disable the original before installing a
new package.  :-/
--
... Joe