Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 10:12:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystr.RWSystems.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, fpscha@schapachnik.com.ar, Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
Subject:   Re: suid/sgid programs

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, James Wyatt wrote:

> I thought we were after suid/sgid programs that had kernel risks (like
> suid root or sgid kmem). What does s[ug]id uucp impact outside of the
> uucp core files? Your inbound/outbound password files might be useful for
> password hacking or getting free service, but what else?
>
> btw: I really dislike the "We can make this stronger by %s and if you
> don't like it or need it undone, you can %s" arguements. They peel-off
> useful subsystems and factionalize us. I still use UUCP a lot here in the
> states for unmetered full-domain email support. Works nicely and lets me
> remote-admin much cheaper.

Again, my feeling is that suid programs in general make it harder to
audit.  If a bug exists in a uucp program, the ability to run arbitrary
programs as the UUCP account (and that the UUCP binaries are *writable* by
the UUCP account) severely limits the effectiveness of current auditing
tools.

Key concept: If you're not using a feature that involves screwing with
UIDs, then it should be disabled.

I would guess that the majority of FreeBSD users do not make use of UUCP.
As such, it provides no benefits for them, but does increase risk and make
auditing harder.

I am not recommend removing or disabling UUCP in the default
distribution (at this time).  On the other hand, I am recommending that an
easy way be provided to disable its suid features.  And I am also offering
to provide that as part of the Hardening Project.

I hope to have an initial suid/sgid program manager hacked up sometime
later this week.  The goal here is to provide an easy way to manage the
risks associated with the various portions of FreeBSD, and to provide an
easy way to set the policy.  UUCP provides clear and useful functionality
-- but not to everyone.  The same goes for ping, sendmail, and fingerd,
for that matter.

  Robert N Watson

----
Carnegie Mellon University  http://www.cmu.edu/