Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:49:22 -0800
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
To:        dg@root.com, jfesler@calweb.com
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Coredumps and setuids .. interesting..

David Greenman writes, re coredumping setuid processes:

> Hmmm. Either my replies aren't getting through to bugtraq, or
> people are just ignoring them. As of FreeBSD 2.1.6 and newer
> versions, we don't core dump for setuid processes. It's been
> this way for nearly a year in -current, but the change didn't
> get merged into the 2.1.x branch until after the 2.1.5
> release...that was an oversight.

Actually, an old 2.1.0-RELEASE source tree I have lying around
indicates that core is not dumped for setuid processes:

/*
 * Dump core, into a file named "progname.core", unless the process was
 * setuid/setgid.
 */
int
coredump(p)
        register struct proc *p;
{
[...]
        if (pcred->p_svuid != pcred->p_ruid || pcred->p_svgid != pcred->p_rgid)
                return (EFAULT);

And I tried it out on an old laptop that still has 2.1.0-951104-SNAP,
and it wouldn't dump the core of a setuid process.  (I don't have
a 2.1.5 system to try it out on.)

Was this, perhaps, a bug that was introduced in 2.1.5, then fixed
in 2.1.6?

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.