Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:04:54 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RHEL to FreeBSD file server

On Nov 13, 2012, at 7:56 AM, Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz> wrote:

> Jason Keltz wrote:
> [...]
>=20
>> Presently, with the mirrors, I'm using 22 disks with leaving 2 hot spares=
.
>> If I used 6 x 4 disk vdevs, I use all the disks and don't have hot
>> spares (though I have better redundancy) -- I could put spares into the
>> R720 head which actually has 14 disk slots empty, but I'm hesitant to
>> put a spare for the md1220 using a different driver in the head of the
>> R720...
>=20
> Beware of hot spares - they are not "hot".
>=20
> kern/134491: [zfs] Hot spares are rather cold...
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D134491
>=20
> This is long standing unsolved issue. You can add drives as "hot spares" t=
o the zpool, but FreeBSD lacks daemon to recieve notifications about disk fa=
ilure and failed drive will not be replaced by spare.

You should be able to work around this on 9.1 with a zfs scrub once the driv=
e has been pulled from the chassis, but I recommend testing this out first, j=
ust to be safe.
Cheers,
-Garrett=