Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:09:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        jhunt@lynden.on.ca
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, small@FreeBSD.ORG, ITStaff@wmptl.com
Subject:   Re: Compact Flash vs ATA Disks

In message: <20020610173028.P89310-100000@lethargic.dyndns.org>
            Jason Hunt <jhunt@lynden.on.ca> writes:
: On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Communications Machine wrote:
:
: > I need a comparison in terms primarily of performance and reliability
: > between using compact flash to boot vs a standard ATA disk drive on a
: > machine used primarily as a router/firewall.
: >
: [ ... snip ... ]
: >
:
: Check out http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/solid-state/
:
: Looks pretty interesting to me.  You could do the same with a hard-drive
: that is mounted read-only.  The nice part about doing this is that it is
: stateless, so you don't have to wait for fsck if it crashes.

Except that even hard drives that are mounted read-only fail a lot
more than the compact flash.  We switched from ata hard disks to
compact flash for our semi-embedded systems about two or so years
ago.  We went from getting about 1 disk RMA a week to not having had
any CF RMAs yet.

Warner