Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:20:38 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        budsz <budsz@kumprang.or.id>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Security <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: About *.asc

--48TaNjbzBVislYPb

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 03:14:51PM +0700, budsz wrote:
> I was search in web resource about this problem, mailing list etc, today
> I get some advisory from FreeBSD security about trouble, so I try to veri=
fy=20
> the *asc:
>=20
> $ gpg --verify xdr-5.patch.asc
> gpg: Signature made Thu Mar 20 08:10:01 2003 WIT using DSA key ID
> CA6CDFB2
> gpg: Good signature from "FreeBSD Security Officer <security-officer@Free=
BSD.org>"
> gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner.
> Primary key fingerprint: C374 0FC5 69A6 FBB1 4AED  B131 15D6 8804 CA6C
> DFB2
>=20
> What happen about warning message, Would you give me some clue pls.

You need to tell gpg that you trust the fact that that key is indeed the one
that the people at FreeBSD use to sign the advisory.

In other words, gpg has verified that the digital signature was not tampered
with, but there is no way for gpg to know whether it was really the FreeBSD
security officer key -- anyone can create a key saying that they are the
security officer.

You can verify that it is the correct key by comparing the fingerprint to a
trusted source of fingerprints. The most secure solution is to go up to the
security officer in person and compare the key fingerprints by hand, but th=
is
is of course not practical. For most purposes it is enough to compare the
fingerprint with the one on the web at

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pgpkeys.html#PGPK=
EYS-OFFICERS

But it's up to you to assign a level of trust in these procedures (how secu=
re
is the FreeBSD web site? etc).

To tell gpg that you trust that this is the key used by the FreeBSD officer:

$ gpg --edit-key security-officer@freebsd.org

enter 'trust' and then e.g. '4'.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?

--48TaNjbzBVislYPb

--48TaNjbzBVislYPb--