Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:12:15 +0000
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ath0 apparent silent disassociation

[Repost without attachment]

OK. We've managed to reproduce this set of symptoms now in our work area.

[If anyone needs to see a pcap, please Cc: me offlist.]

     Timebase: beginning of the pcap is in sync with a bringup from
single-user mode; the tcpdump runs in the background from init whilst
the system is brought up.

     OK, so I timed the apparent loss of connectivity as 6m 30s from that
point I hit the stopwatch, to when I hit it again when the AP's Web GUI
no longer shows the STA affected as being associated.
     Obviously such a timing is subject to human/visual jitter, and how
often Netgear's firmware pulls the STA association list from the AP into
the web GUI.

     What stands out in the pcap is that 302.291s in (almost 5m exactly),
the STA (ath0) sends an IEEE 802.11 NULL frame to the AP with the PWR
MGT bit set (I'm going to sleep!). This more or less coincides with a
normal beacon from the Netgear AP. It does not advertise Auto Power Save
Delivery (apsd), that bit is 0.
     This is puzzling as we don't enable power management by default. As
I understand it, this may be an AP feature in some environments... I can
try reproducing this with an explicit 'ifconfig ath0 -powersave' and see
if it reoccurs.

     You'll see that after this NULL frame is sent, there is another
Probe Request, and the Netgear AP does Probe Respond, but this makes no
difference (I ended the capture around 150s after the NULL frame was sent).

     At this point we can't send traffic from the ath0, or rather, the AP
is acting as though it never even heard the STA. The STA learns the AP's
IP address/MAC mapping through passive ARP -- we still see broadcasts on
the SSID -- but the AP has started to totally ignore the STA, and seemed
to have ignored its ARP requests also.
     We are using MAC address ACL control with this AP, and the ath0
affected is definitely listed in its ACL table, configured up, rebooted etc.

     It is as though the STA is entering power saving mode when not
explicitly told to, and the AP is not waking up the STA as it should.

If any more information needed, or where to look, please let me know
what's involved (I MFCed the change after all, so I'll help where I can
until I'm on holiday this week...)

My lab colleague is just working around this with 'ping <ap-ip>' for
now, that keeps things up, as does OpenVPN...

cheers
BMS