Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 22:48:40 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ports collection?

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Hidetoshi Shimokawa wrote:

# I did it in very silly way,  make package in each ports/*/* directory.
# I've read his paper and I'd like to try it once his scripts are placed
# somewhere.

I can get them for you (or Satoshi can) if you really want
them.

# We may have alpha specific ports. (e.g. fast math library written in assembler)
# BRONKEN_I386 or ONLY_FOR_ALPHA should be necessary.

Some math libraries come with assembly for multiple platforms.
A good example is the GNU gmp library.  I do agree however that
we should probably seriously consider adding ${ARCH}_ONLY and
BROKEN_${ARCH} to bsd.port.mk.

# sprice> What kind of connectivity to *.freebsd.org do you have?
#
# Not so bad.
# simokawa@ett[9]:~/tmp> ping freebsd.org
# PING freebsd.org (204.216.27.18): 56 data bytes
# 64 bytes from 204.216.27.18: icmp_seq=0 ttl=242 time=131.462 ms
# 64 bytes from 204.216.27.18: icmp_seq=1 ttl=242 time=135.267 ms

Not bad for being across the ocean. :)

# Actually, I have no modified port tree now. Once a policy (BROKEN_*
# , "ifdef __alpha__" or "ifdef __alpha") is settled, I'll start to fix
# ports for alpha.

Satoshi,

I'll have some time after next Wednesday (family reunion in
Texas starting tomorrow) to work up some patches.  Got any
preferences for the new features.  One think someone should
probably take a look at how (Net|Open)BSD is handling this.
They have a ports tree that looks somewhat like our own and
surely they have something in there to handle multiple archs.

# Shall I send "weekly (or daily) report on broken ports on alpha"?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a weekly status report.  I'll
let Satoshi speak for himself. :)  However we should probably
hold off on sending this out to everyone at least in the very
near term until we get established who's doing what and where
all the packages are going to live.  Otherwise we'll be fielding
tons of Email asking where things are and if our only answer
is "on our personal machines" they could get miffed.

Thanks.

-steve

PS: As I alluded to earlier I will be out of pocket for the
next five days so don't write me off if you don't hear from
me again until next Wednesday.

# /\ Hidetoshi Shimokawa
# \/  simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp
# PGP public key: finger -l simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp