Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 18:32:53 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>
To:        "Jason" <kib@mediaone.net>, "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>, <ldmservices@charter.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why do you support Yahoo!

> You woldnt believe.  comes with the fact I live way out in the boonies.
> Everytime the wind blows too hard power comes and goes....if its real bad
it
> can go down for hours/days.
>
> and I live in a state not really known for wind problems.  Just the long
> haul power lines are stretched a long ways between poles and the wind can
> invoke a safety mechanism that opens the curcuit in case power line if
broke
> under the stress.

I live in California.  We're almost always in a stage-3 power emergency
anymore.  Since the power companies were deregulated here (not considered
utilities anymore basically), they have shut down a bunch of plants for
"maintenance" (really so they can jack up the prices).  Our power bill has
gone up to double what it once was.  And since there's not enough power
here, with half the reactors offline and all, (for "maintenance") we have
rolling blackouts up and down the state, companies are asked to shutdown
production in order to keep the power online, and I usually come back every
Monday to find that my APC couldn't keep my two Netfinities online long
enough and my server was rebooted over the weekend due to powerfailures.
This of course corrupts my database, which is rebuilding the links over the
weekend, and doing other cleanup, leading to bad data in the database.  heh.
This is getting out of hand.  They have more stable power facilities in 3rd
world countries.  At least the wind is innocent, and it's not intentionally
trying to screw you over :)