Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:07:41 -0500
From:      "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   copy a "Jail" environment

after much futsing around, we have a jail'ed environment doing what we
want it to.  Would like to recreate the environment as needed.  I see
two options:

1) Scripting a jail creation and required library/scripts creation
program and running it for each new jail we wish to create.

2) Create a "template" Jail environment, then copy and rename the
directory tree, and add additional jail lines to the rc.local rc.conf
to IP them and start them on reboot.

Any reason why #2 should not work, even to the point where if ports
were installed in the jail'ed environment, they could be recreated in
their installed state.

The easiest but most time consuming would be to simply script
everything (step 1).  Enter the new IP address, user information, and
have it go through the jail creation, port installation, rc.
configuration and so forth, but we are talkig significant time and
server resources(or more importantly disk access time) to accomplish
this.

Any thoughts or idea on this matter would be appreciated.

Dave