Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 02:05:34 +1000
From:      David Burns <david.burns@dugeem.net>
To:        Frederic Massicotte <frederic.massicotte@crc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.x

Frederic Massicotte wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I dot know the correct group I should send this message. Thanks for your
> help.
>
> 	we are a research centre in communications and for our research we need to
> use FreeBSD version 2.x on VMWare. For version 2.2.8 everything is working
> fine the operating system have no problem to be installed and the network
> behave well no device time out and the operating system find the emulated
> PCI ADM PCNET II ethernet card. So for FreeBSD 2.2.8 we have the following
> log for the Lance driver.

> vga0 <Display device> rev 0 on pci 0:15:0
> lnc1 <PCNet / PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 16 int a irq 9 on pci 0:16:0
> lnc1: PCNet - PCI II address 00:50:56:a6:20:83
> Probing for devices on ISA bus :
>
> In the case of FreeBSD 2.2.7 is not able to find the address of the card
> and the type of the card but it is just able to find the PCI card. So for
> FreeBSD 2.2.7 we have the following log for the Lance driver.

> vga0 <Display device> rev 0 on pci 0:15:0
> lnc1 <PCNet / PCI Ethernet adapter> rev 16 int a irq 9 on pci 0:16:0
> Probing for devices on ISA bus :
>
> In the case of FreeBSD 2.2.5 is not able to find the correct card. It find
> a NE2100 card like
> lnc1: NE2100 (C-LANCE) address 00:50:56:a6:20:83 and when we configure the
> card we got  the device timeout message.
>
> We this situation we are not able to get the network card up and running.
> If someone have a suggestion we will be very happy because we need to
> install various version of FreeBSD from the version 2.0.5 to 2.2.8 and we
> were just able to get one version working with the network.

IIRC VMware up to v3.1 only ever supported FreeBSD v2.2.7 and later.
Current VMware releases v3.1 and later only supports FreeBSD v3.1 and later.

For FreeBSD prior to v2.2.7 you're out of luck - due to lnc driver
changes. You could consider patching the lnc driver but given the
changes required (eg. ISA<->PCI bus driver hacks) I'm not sure that this
would be practical.

The only other solution I can think of (obviously suitable only for low
bandwidth network connectivity) is to run PPP/SLIP through a virtual
serial port!

> In fact, we have install all version of FreeBSD from 3.0 to 4.6.2 and we
> were able to get them working and send packet on the network in a VMWare
> environment.

Nice one!

pyro