Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:12:15 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   GTKMozEmbed with linux-firefox

Hi everyone,

I use www/linux-firefox as my standard browser, as www/firefox doesn't support
flash.

/etc/make.conf has
WITH_MOZILLA=firefox
WITH_GECKO=firefox

I am trying to install devel/devhelp, and I bumped into these issues:

1) it requires  ${LOCALBASE}/lib/${MOZILLA}/components/libwidget_gtk2.so (and
if not present, it tries to install www/${MOZILLA} ) . linux-firefox doesn't
include libwidget_gtk2.so , but nvu (which I have installed) does.

I solved this issue by symlinking nvu's libwidget_gtk2.so to the expected
firefox location.

so.. 2) when building devhelp, it sees libwidget_gtk2.so and it moves ahead...
until
[...]
checking LIBDEVHELP_LIBS... -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -pthread
-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgnomevfs-2 -lgconf-2 -lORBit-2
-lgthread-2.0 -lglade-2.0 -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lxml2 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -lXrandr -lXi
-lXinerama -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lXcursor -lXfixes
-lcairo -lpangoft2-1.0 -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lz -lpango-1.0 -lm -lXrender
-lX11 -lXext -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -liconv checking which
mozilla to use... firefox checking for firefox-gtkmozembed >= 0.10
firefox-xpcom >= 0.10... Package firefox-gtkmozembed was not found in the
pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing
`firefox-gtkmozembed.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package
'firefox-gtkmozembed' found Package firefox-xpcom was not found in the
pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing
`firefox-xpcom.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package
'firefox-xpcom' found configure: error: Library requirements
(firefox-gtkmozembed >= 0.10 firefox-xpcom >= 0.10) not met; consider adjusting
the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard
prefix so pkg-config can find them.
[...]

Again, gtkmozembed is available from nvu, but not the .pc (no biggie I
suppose)...

anyway, the question is : is hter a way I can have the missing components (so
far, libwidget_gtk2 , gtkmozembed, mozembed, xpcom ) *without* having to
install the native firefox ?

Would this be possible to do with a new port? (i.e., www/firefox with a special
config to only build these objects... would it be useful ?

thanks,

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

Contrary to popular belief, Unix is user friendly. It just happens to be very
selective about who it decides to make friends with.

Warned.