Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2003 06:48:05 -0500
From:      "WolfRyder" <wolfryder@qwest.net>
To:        "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD knowledge, awarded

At 09:25 AM 4/26/03 +0000, clayton rollins wrote:

>Hey nooB's
>
>Just thought I'd chime in to tell y'all I actually got an award at my
>school for one of the freebsd projects I'm heading. (The specific project
>is setting up a small p2p net. of various OS's, using samba to manage net.
>resources.)
>
>I know it doesn't have much to do with *BSD, and is largely gloating on my
>part, but I really thought it was cool when one of my instructor's called
>me to the front, introducing me as "the BSD guy." (I always try to promote
>bsd, but most of the people around my school are linux sort of people.
>(not willing to negotiate boot-up problems, etc.)) I guess I'm just
>saying, stick with it, there is a certain amount of respect for knowing a
>few OS's, as well as OS structure.
>
>Hopefully, before I finish out the semester, I'll get these MS-loving
>admins to let the box on the 'net, and add a ssh/ftp server to the local
>net. (It's fast and all, but I really wish it were more 'functional.')

That is so cool Clayton! Congrats!

I'm in the process of trying to install /dual boot BSD (with GUI) on my
laptop that houses my Win98. I'll take that to work to show how samba lets
my bsd talk to the other windows machines there.

It's really not far off from reality either. With the economy like it is a
lot of places just don't have the funds to upgrade software on their
servers. The IT guys where I work also don't know much about any other OS
except windows, with the exception of the webserver (Sun running Solaris)
and only 2 of us know anything about it.

The R&D machine developing a content management system is FreeBSD (which I
installed and setup a few months ago.) There seems to be a fear of learning
something new with a lot of the Microsoft crowd. **The other OS's aren't
"point and click" therefore it's too hard to learn **and **other admins in
the city don't know how to help administer the OS**, Whereas I discovered
it's much easier to take control and actually set up what I want done.

Keep up the good work!!
Carol

**The common whine in staff meetings