Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 09:37:46 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Gilles Nedostoupof <gilles.nedostoupof@signform.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with XFree

> Gilles Nedostoupof wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> We have some problem with XFree since we have installed a new SVGA
> Card in our server, it's a Diamond SpeedStar A90 with a S3 Savage4
> chip.
> The X-Windows system don't startup.  When we launch it, it says
> Unknow S3 chip type and it fix the amount of video memory to 256kb
> but we have 16 MB on the card !
> The only thing that I can do is launching XFree with the VGA16
> server, so I've a 640x480 in 16 colors.  It's to small for
> administrate a server.
>
> What can we do ?

Well, if you had checked the card out like you should have done before
you purchased it. You would have found that XFree86 3.3.5 only has S3
Savage support for Linux. See
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.5/RELNOTES4.html#4

You can't just add the latest new hardware and expect support in some
areas such as networking, SCSI cam support, and x-windows. The
manufacturer will provide support with the card for certain OS'es,
which means Windows and its derivatives and someone has to port it for
the others. What I read is that S3 provided code for Linux. If the
XFree86 people have the server code for Linux, they at least have what
they need to get one ready for FreeBSD. However, since they didn't
list a driver for FreeBSD, it would appear that you have the choice of
replacing the card, porting the Linux server to FreeBSD, or being
patient while the x-server support for FreeBSD is developed.

How long can you handle 640x480? If you are like me, not very long :).
I maintain that you can't call it windows or x-windows at 640 x 480
because you only have room for one window.

Have a better day,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart