Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:26:46 -0400
From:      Rick Siple <RickSiple@mpainc.com>
To:        "'freebsd-database@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-database@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: PostgreSQL 6.5

------_=_NextPart_000_01BEB743.7B2167D2

	Actually, PostgreSQL 6.5 has skipped over row-level locking
(apparently they only had table level locking in 6.4.2) and is using a
mechanism they call Multi-version Concurrency Control (MVCC).  It is
supposed to be better than row-level locking in that a reader can never be
blocked by a writer.  In row-level locking, once a writer reads and updates
a row in a transaction, any readers wanting access to that row get blocked
until the writer commits his transaction.  With MVCC the readers get to read
the old version of the record until the writer commits.  This mechanism also
obviates the need to a set number of locks.
	I attached the messages that was posted to the pgsql-announce
mailing list.  It looks like they tried to post it to the freebsd-database
mailing list also, but addressed it to 'freebsd-databases' plural.

Rick Siple
ricksiple@mpainc.com