Date:      29 Jan 2002 23:27:50 -0500
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk>, FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mrtg

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 23:10, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 07:51:00PM -0800, Thomas Cannon wrote:
> >
> > The cisco 800 runs Cisco IOS, so you should be able to turn on SNMP.
> >
> > Log in, go into enable mode, then configuration mode, and add this:
> >
> > your-router-name(config)#snmp-server community public ro
> >
> > Then 'write mem' and exit.
> >
> > It should now work with the read-only SNMP community string 'public' --
> > you might want to use a different string for security purposes... but as
> > the old saying goes: SNMP -- Security, Not My Problem
>
> You can also add an access-list number behind it so people outside
> that network won't get an answer: See
> http://www.mavetju.org/networking/security.php for more details.

A few issues on the SNMP side.  One, if you don't specify a read-write
community string, IOS won't allow read-write access.  You don't need to
create a deny any any access list.  Second, there is no snmp-server
trap-authentication command.  On newer IOS you can do:

snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication

on older IOS, simply

snmp-server enable traps snmp

Just FYI.

Joe