Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:42:49 -0700
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh install onto geom_stripe or geom_mirror?

Paul Mather writes:
 > [...]  The PC has two 80 GB drives fitted that I'd
 > like either to mirror or stripe together as one "drive" and then install
 > onto that.
 >
 > What is the best way to do that?
 > [...]

I don't know whether my approach was "best" or not, but it seemed to
work.

I have a dual-bus scsi based system that can boot off of any drive I
want.  It has a matching pair of nice drives in the 1U case, and I
wanted them to be identical copies.

I ended up hanging an oddball external scsi drive off of the system,
doing a minimal install onto that, booting the minimal install,
running /stand/sysinstall and using it to partition and add boot
blocks to both drives (w/ identical partition tables).  Then I exited
sysinstall and ran gmirror by hand to create a mirror (gm0s1) that
consisted of da0s1 and da1s1.  I bsdlabeled/partitioned it by hand,
and then did a "dump ... | restore ..." for each partition from the
external drive, the reset my bios to boot off of da0.

I managed to expose a couple of problems which Pawel fixed, I think
that some of the fixes have made it into the beta's and some are on
their way.  In particular, if you're going to swap onto the mirror,
you need to give the system a chance to leave the swap partition in a
nice state, otherwise the mirror appears to be dirty and get's
resynched.  Pawel touched up /etc/rc.d/{swap1,addswap}, and I had to
retrain myself to use "shutdown -r now" instead of just "reboot" so
that they'd have a chance to run.  The second problem was more
insidious, after updating to a newer BETA (3, I think) the system
started insisting that one of the mirrors was dirty, no matter how I
shutdown.  Pawel figured out what was going on, and I tested a patch
for it last night, which seems to work fine.  Pawel's considering the
aesthetics of the fix and will commit some version of it soon.

g.