Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 20:08:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP aliasing on lo0 or ethernet?

While looking through the handbook for info about CVSUP, I came across
three "tutorials" on IP aliasing (one in the Handbook, one in the FAQ, and
one in the "Tutorials").  All three basically suggested IP aliasing to the
Ethernet card, using netmask 255.255.255.255 and adding route commands to
route the aliased IP to the loopback device.

However, for several years now I've been aliasing IP's to the loopback
device directly, and using arp commands to distribute the aliased IP to
routing daemons in the subnet if necessary.

So, why is aliasing to the ethernet device preferable to aliasing to lo0?
Or more accurately stated...what's the difference and why would one choose
method A over method B?  Thanks for the advice.
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions