Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:31:35 +0200
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FBSD Doc project <doc@freebsd.org>, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC: standardizing SVN properties in the doc repo

Hi,

currently, the proper use of SVN properties and dealing with file types
are not standardized in the doc repo. I propose the following policy for
the repo:

- Use the .sh extension for shell scripts so that they can be easily
identified as such

- Always add the $FreeBSD$ keyword and set svn:keywords to FreeBSD=%H if
you create a text non-binary file that support escaping it.

- Only set fbsd:nokeywords for non-binary (i.e. human-readable) files if
there are no ways to escape the keyword.

- If SVN detects your non-binary file as binary (may happen with
non-Latin encodings), DO NOT SET fbsd:nokeywords but use fbsd:notbinary.

- If SVN complains that a binary file does not have the keyword, first
try to set the correct mime-type (see below) and only set
fbsd:nokeywords if SVN still rejects the file.

.css	text/css
.dtd	application/xml-dtd
.ent	application/xml-dtd
.gif	image/gif
.gz	application/gzip
.html	text/html
.ico	image/vnd.microsoft.icon
.jpg	image/jpeg
.js	application/javascript
.log	text/plain
.pdf	application/pdf
.png	image/png
.rss	application/rss+xml
.sh	text/plain
.svg	image/svg+xml
.txt	text/plain
.xml	application/xml
.xsl	application/xslt+xml

If there are no objections, I'll give a sweep to the tree to make it
consistent and I'll document this.

Gabor