Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:45:14 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        The Gupta Age <thegage@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: KDE 3.0 broken in current??

The Gupta Age wrote:
> Thanks a bunch for the replies
> Terry's workaround works fine.
> I am not sure what the real culprit is?
> If the two of you guys could elaborate a little bit
> may be i will learn a thing or two.
> Anyways Mike if you need a amateur helping hand, I
> will be glad to help!
[ ... ]
> |This could be our fault.  We advertise ourselves as POSIX.1-2001
> |conformant, but only about 2/3 of our standard headers are.  I'm
> |systematically working my through them, but some issues take longer to
> |solve than others.

There are conflicting standards.

The argument about POSIX.1-2001 conformance is actually specious,
in this case, because the code in question does not use a feature
test for it in order to make its "#include" decisions.

Basically, my workaround is facetious; it causes the header file
that defines the types used in sys/socket.h to be included before
sys/socket.h is included.  I could have just as easily said "edit
the file and add ``#include <sys/types.h>'' before the include that
was failing".

This fix was in the KDE 3.1 tree, and has been put in the KDE 3.0
tree as a result of this discussion.

If you have older ports code, continue using the workaround, it's
harmless.

-- Terry