Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 95 21:50 CST
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Can we create isa/matcd?

When I developed the matcd driver, I had assumed it and all of its
directly-related files would land in their own subdirectory under
isa since there were more than two or three associated files.
However, Jordon didn't notice I was assuming this in the original code
submission, so all the files ended up in /usr/src/sys/i386/isa.

The files that relate to matcd that currently exist in isa today are
	matcd.c, matcd.h, options.h, creative.h and possibly a
	README file.  (I don't know where it went.)
For obvious reasons, some of the file name choices aren't that great
for a generic driver directory.  Someone might think that "options.h" does
more than controlling compile options for one driver, or that "creative.h"
has something to do with audio support.

Further, I am in the process of adding to the driver support for
some other sound cards (Diamond/MediaVision) with differing interfaces
and some drives that use the interface but have different command sets.
Matsushita didn't produce a reference design for the host adapter, so
everybody has their own slightly-different implementation.

Increasing the number of supported cards and drives will just increase
the number of files related to the core driver and I would really like to
get these out of the isa directory.

To reduce the clutter, I propose that we create a
	/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/matcd
directory where all the files related to matcd (and the future related
files) would reside.  Jordon suggested I voice this option here.

If there are objections to this idea, please speak up in -current.  Thanks.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The federal agents are exposing
or  uhclem%nemesis@trsvax.ast.com (Internet)| themselves to the outer
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               | atmosphere." - KXAS TV reporter
...decvax!trsvax.fw.ast.com!nemesis!uhclem  | during Waco fire.  REALLY!