Date:      Sat, 01 Mar 1997 20:04:52 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Restarting CONTINUOUS/updating during CONTINUOUS

In order to change the geometry , you must first stop the capture process.
In the case of the SVIDEO extensions , you must:
1.  first stop the capture process,
2.  issue the new SVIDEO parameters
3.  reissue a geometry call

The SVIDEO parameters are used when building the "Risc program" which is
trigger by the geometry call.

I will document the above procedures on my next release of the driver.

>From The Desk Of Randall Hopper :
> I'm sitting here enjoying working with the 848 driver, adding bells and
> whistles to dtv.
>
> A few small problems to report with the driver to report (nothing hangs the
> system -- just some strange behavior).  BTW this is with the 0.3 driver.
> Here are some canned samples to demonstrate what I'm seeing.
>
> 1. To reproduce the first one, in the dtv event loop, add:
>
>                     sleep(1);
>                     i = METEOR_CAP_STOP_CONT;
>                     ioctl(video, METEORCAPTUR, &i);
>                     i = METEOR_CAP_CONTINOUS;           /* now cruise */
>                     ioctl(video, METEORCAPTUR, &i);
>
> Once every two or three iterations, you'll see the display stop updating
> for a second or two because the CAP_CONTINUOUS restart didn't quite take.

	This problem is related to error recovery during the initial
	phase of video capture . I am currently working to cure this
	problem .

> 2. To reproduce the second one, in the event loop add:
>
>                     sleep(1);
>                     meteor_video.addr += 4096;
>                     ioctl( video, METEORSVIDEO, &meteor_video );

	*THIS WILL NOT WORK*

> Now in 16bpp with a 1024 pixel pitch (2048 bytes), this should cause the TV
> window to walk down the screen 2 lines at a time every second.  However, it
> doesn't move the window at all.  I still see the display stop updating for
> a second or two, even without nesting this in ioctls to
> STOP_CONT/CONTINUOUS (I imagine that's the same problem as in 1.).
>
> 3. In the event loop add:
>
>                     sleep(1);
>                     meteor_video.addr += 4096;
>                     ioctl( video, METEORSVIDEO, &meteor_video );
>                     ioctl( video, METEORSETGEO, &geo );

Now this is more like it 8)

> NOW the video will walk down the screen (albeit with the update freezing
> for a sec now and then -- again, problem 1.).  Nothing changed in geo since
> its original setting -- still the same values (640x480, etc.).
>

> Thanks,
>
> Randall

	Enjoy,
	Amancio