Date:      17 Aug 1999 19:30:56 -0400
From:      Allan Strand <stranda@cofc.edu>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux emulation in 3.2 current

Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl> writes:
> Allan Strand wrote:
>
> > The most obvious symptom is that linux elf programs run when
> > I'm logged in as root, but they give a seg fault when run as a user.
> >
> > I've just today "made world" remade the kernel with
> >
> > options COMPAT_LINUX
>
> For starters, COMPAT_LINUX is obsoleted. Use the linux module.
>
> > From CVS tracked sources current as of last night.  Does anyone have
> > any suggestions?
>
> You have to be more specific. Preferably with traces. Also, your use of
> -current is confusing, do you mean 3.2-STABLE or do you mean 4.0-CURRENT?

I figured out the problem.  I (the user, not root) had LD_LIBRARY_PATH
defined in my environment and this was giving the dynamic linker
problems.  I eliminated the variable (although, I could have probably
changed the search order) because it has been sitting in my .cshrc file
for years and is seemingly unneeded.

I must confess that I'm not sure what you mean by a trace. Does this
mean ktrace the program, then post the results of kdump?  By the way,
FYI I am tracking 3.2-stable

Thanks for your time.
A.
--
Allan E. Strand          stranda@cofc.edu,  http://linum.cofc.edu
Department of Biology    Phone:      (843) 953-8085