Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 19:16:12 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Oliver Lehmann <Kai_Allard_Liao@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

> On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 03:18:28 +0100 (MET)
> Oliver Lehmann <Kai_Allard_Liao@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > options         ROOTDEVNAME=\"ufs:da0s1a\"
>
> i've tryed this on my i386 system at home wit ad0s1a but that does not work,
> why? i've create a "boot.config" at my disk wit -r inside and reboot. but
> the kernel trys to mount fd0c but WHY ? i dont understand it.. i've spcified
> the ROOTDEVNAME in the kernel staticly...

ROOTDEVNAME is an ultimate fallback unless you boot with the '-r' flag.

ie. 'boot -r' will always use the compiled-in ROOTDEVNAME.  If you don't
specify '-r', ROOTDEVNAME is only used if both the /etc/fstab check and
the fallbacks (determined by where the kernel was booted from, etc.) all
fail.  In your case, you have a UFS filesystem on fd0, so one of the
fallbacks is succeeding.  This wouldn't be the case on an Alpha, since
the SRM disk interface is all weird and stuff.