Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:10:47 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>, Michael Johnson <ahze@freebsd.org>, Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Helping to put FreeBSD GNOME onto more desktops

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org> (from Mon, 09 Jun 2008
> 20:16:06 -0400):
>
>> Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> Quoting Michael Johnson <ahze@freebsd.org> (from Sun, 8 Jun 2008
>>> 21:35:35 -0500):

>>> Good idea.
>>>
>>> What we would need (IMHO):
>>> - .desktop files for stuff which hasn't one (back in the 2.6 days, I
>>> started a port for this, see
>>> http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/misc-desktop-files-2.6.1.tar.bz2 for
>>> some rudimentary stuff)
>>
>> itetcu was also looking at creating entries by default for ports.  I
>> wrote a program for him to extract PNG images from arbitrary
>> executables, so something may come from this.  I do agree having
>> additional desktop files for common GNOMEish apps (e.g. Wireshark)
>> would be nice.
>
> Why limiting this to gnomeish apps? Do you expect that GNOME users only
> use gnomeish apps and KDE users only kdeish ones without having a look
> at other stuff (TCL/python/perl/SDL/whatever)? For example I don't mind
> having a desktop file for acroread.

Of course, you're right.  I was saying GNOMEish apps because they tend
to come with icons (even if they don't install .desktop files).  But
this idea applies to any application (even terminal apps).

>>> - optional automatic config of the system (adding rc.conf stuff,
>>> maybe usermount sysctl stuff, ...)
>>
>> This is easy as we can adopt some of the niceties done by PC-BSD (e.g.
>> default PolicyKit.conf, devfs config, sysctls, etc.).
>
> Do you have pointers?

Yes.  The HAL FAQ is a good place to start:

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html#q3

Additionally, PC-BSD has a pretty good default PolicyKit.conf file which
covers media mounting:

http://svn.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/trunk/system-overlay/usr/local/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf

(users would need to be put into operator for this to work)

And then there's the regular GNOME FAQ which mentions some devfs.conf stuff:

http://www.freebsd.org//gnome/docs/faq2.html#q15

Finally, some good sysctls (though maybe we should leave core dumps
enabled):

http://svn.pcbsd.org/browser/pcbsd/trunk/system-overlay/etc/sysctl.conf

Joe

--