Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2004 02:30:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        Kai Mosebach <kai@freshx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bridging problems on 5.2-RELEASE

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Kai Mosebach wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> recently i tried to setup a wireless bridge onto my freebsd 5.2 server.
>
> i followed the instructions on the ath manpage and set the bridge up with :
>
> ifconfig ath0 inet up <params>
> sysctl net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
> sysctl net.link.ether.bridge.config="ath0 xl0"
> sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
>
> the ath interface has no ip adress, but xl0 has.

I'm using a similar setup on 4.x (with wi in place of ath), and it works
reasonably well.  The one difference is that I did assign an IP address to
the wireless interface, although I always communicate with the LAN IP
address.

Note that one problem the FreeBSD arp code has (as of now) is that it
isn't really multi-interface aware; you'll see lots of messages on the
wireless client where it sees the lan IP moving back and forth between the
MAC addresses of the wireless and LAN cards.  Is it possible that this
behavior is confusing your client somehow?

> now i can ping all of my lan-clients from the wireless, excepting the bridge
> itself. i saw some reports about problems in the bridge module of 4.x so i
> build my kernel with options BRIDGE, but no changes.

I had problems with the module under 4.x, so I am using BRIDGE in the
kernel config as well.

> the second problem is, that i have a DSL router on my cabled segment, which is
> pingable from wireless, but setting it as default gw and DNS server on the
> wireless client is not working, internet access is not possible.
>
> any ideas ?
>
> best Kai

Maybe the second problem is part of the first problem manifesting itself
in a different way.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack