Date:      Tue, 27 Sep 2005 10:17:25 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        gnome <freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   About gtk library versions and dlopen()

I see that in the marcuscom repository the gtk libraries have a version
of 0 (libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0), whereas the current stable port has a
version of 600 (libgtk-x11-2.0.so.600). Could someone please explain the
logic behind the gtk library versioning and whether the committed gnome
2.12 will keep the 0 versions?

The main issue I'm trying to solve is whether we can dlopen a shared
library on FreeBSD by specifying a version number of 0 and let the
dynamic linker load the version that is currently installed. It seems
that Eclipse on Linux and other Unix systems does this and they claim we
have a weird linker.

Thanks for any feedback.

Panagiotis