Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:12:59 -0300
From:      Cristiano Savino <sowina@uol.com.br>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Some help with the "/dev/socksys" device.

    Hello people,

     I bought the FreeBSD v.2.2.5  from Walnut Creek ( 4 cds package ).
The Operating System is already installed and running  successfully, so
I tried to install the Oracle Database v7.1.5 ( for SCO).
    To make it, I had to

    - Enable the IBCS2 flag.
    - Recompile the Kernel enabling the IPC and semaphores options  for
System V (that is for the Shared Memory to work).

    The Oracle database was installed successfully too, I mean, the
database is up and running, and I am able to create tables,views,  run
some PLs, etc.
    But, one of the main features of the database could not be
initialized, the Listener Server. The Listener makes possible other
Client machines to connect with the Database Server (running on the
FreeBSD).
    When I try to activate this option, first, the system asks for the
"/dev/socksys" that is not present, so I read the FAQ 6.4 on the
www.freebsd.org, but I still have some doubts about it:

    1 - The /compat/ibcs2/dev is not present on my machine (I only had
the /compat), so I had to create it manually, is this normal?

    2 - I had to create the files on the /compat/ibcs2/dev manually, I
mean:
       cd /compat/ibcs2/dev
        >null
        ln -s /dev/null XOR@
        ln -s /dev/null socksys@
        mknod spx c 41 1
        ln -s socksys nfsd@

    And after all I made a link to socksys , using

       cd /dev
       ln -s /dev/null socksys

    Is this correct?

    After all this configuration, I still cannot start the Listener, it
gives me a network error !!

    What should I do?

    Thanks,
    And sorry for the bad English !!