Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:18:34 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Rusty <irisinc@gci.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Using CVSUP (was: Where are the HOWTO's?)

On Thursday, 16 September 1999 at 19:23:57 -0800, Rusty wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to set up the CVSup software package on FreeBSD 3.2.
>
> I'm reading Greg Lehey's book and on page 368 it tells you the necessary
> things you need to set up the program.  The book mentions a cvsupfile,
> which will be gotten to later in the text.

To be more precise, 10 lines further on.

> Great! Put mind into hold till you come to the next mention of
> cvsupfile and then resume train of thought.

No, read on.

> Next mention of the cvsupfile tells you that you can find all the
> details in the online handbook.  Good!  Put Greg's book down, pick up
> the online handbook and read on while re-engaging brain and mental
> processes.

No, read on.

> Problem #1  Online handbook assumes you know where certain files are
> located and does not give paths to said files.  The handbook also refers
> you to man pages.  Wonderful!  Put down handbook; lookup man page.  Try
> to remember what in the hell it was you were looking for in the first
> place and also does it really matter any more.

No, read on in CFBSD.  If you find something missing there, *then* go
and look at the online handbook.

> Come on guys!  Give me a break!
>
> Has anybody written HOWTO's for this stuff?  If so where are they
> located?

Yes, you're quoting from one of them.  Now explain what difficulty you
have with sequential reading.  Come up with a real problem and I'll
fix it.

There's also another HOWTO at http://www.lemis.com/staying-current.  I
don't think you really need it.

Greg