Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2006 14:42:48 -0700
From:      Darrin Chandler <dwchandler@stilyagin.com>
To:        Rob Gabaree <lists@rawb.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do I need to completely disable sendmail?

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 05:18:27PM -0400, Rob Gabaree wrote:

> So what should I do?  Should I just have "sendmail_enable="NO"" in /
> etc/rc.conf, so only the incoming mail service is disabled?  That way
> messages could be sent without the above errors?  Or what?

You should allow the system to send out it's mail. And it should go
somewhere meaningful (i.e., to you). And you should read it.

All my systems send me mail every day, and I scan through it to make
sure everything is okay. That's what those messages are for. :)

So, yes. You should disabled incoming, but allow submit, etc. You can
also firewall off incoming instead or in addition.

dwchandler@stilyagin.com   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |